Energy efficiency built in
At Scotframe, we believe in a ‘fabric first’ approach to construction. In simple terms, that means we design homes with long-term efficiency measures built in from the start.
Fabric First prioritises the insulation and airtightness of the building, using insulation and high performance doors and windows to create airtight structures that prevent drafts and retain heat. This reduces the need for costly ‘add-ons’ such as renewable energy or heating systems as the building does all the hard the work for you.
The key to this approach lies in our unique Val-U-Therm PLUS® wall, roof and floor panels – designed to last for the life of the building and durable for a minimum 60 years. The Val-U-Therm PLUS® system offers warm, draught-proof homes with a high comfort factor.
- Improved Thermal Performance
- Improved Buildability
- Improved Environmental Credentials
- Better Detailing
Val-U-Therm PLUS® offers proven benefits whatever specification you require, be it ‘A’ rated Energy Performance Certificates, the highest levels of the Code for Sustainable Homes or PassivHaus. As always, with Scotframe, you decide what is best for you. Val-U-Therm PLUS® offers a practical cost-effective solution to meet and exceed existing building regulations.
The system is suitable for all types of domestic and commercial architecture, design, external treatment and internal finish.
Find out how Scotframe’s fabric first approach to thermal efficiency saved previous clients time and money:
Thermal Performance Benefits
From extensive testing both internally and using an independent third party, the Lambda declared value of the Val-U-Therm PLUS® insulation can achieve 0.022 W/mK.
Factory quality controlled Val-U-Therm PLUS® injected polyurethane insulation ensures that every cubic millimetre of every void in every panel is filled and sealed.
Specially developed microcellular technology giving smaller cell size in an improved cell structure – the insulation contains literally billions of bubbles.
Hence Val-U-Therm PLUS® brings significant reductions in space heating energy costs.
U Value Options
(Brick & Block Cladding)
|Stud Size||V-U-T||Std Kit|
circa 40% better performance
This can account for about 25% of heat loss can be through thermal bridging. Our thermally modelled energy saving details can give up to a 10% reduction in CO2 emissions compared to “standard” timber frame details.
Third party accredited thermal bridging details / psi values to give Y values of circa 0.03 W/m2K are available.
- Control of thermal bridging and air tightness is more assured and less dependent on site workmanship.
- Val-U-Therm PLUS® has no ‘tacked-on’ awkward extra layers of insulation on the structure – all the factory injected insulation is integrated within the building panel.
- Where required, windows and external doors (even patio doors) can be factory fitted before the panels are transported to site.
- No requirement for “special” wall ties.
- Less on site materials handling, storage, waste, theft & security issues.
- The Val-U-Therm PLUS® panels can be erected extremely quickly thereby reducing timescales and speeding up the build programme.
- Greater accuracy and a better standard of finish on handover.
Environmental and Sustainability Benefits
The largest environmental saving of using Val-U-Therm PLUS® panels is from reduced energy use after construction and during the life of the building.
All of the timber in Val-U-Therm PLUS® comes from Chain of Custody managed renewable sources accredited by FSC and/or PEFC.
Val-U-Therm PLUS® insulation is a bio carbon containing foam:
- This biocarbon or Natural Oil Polyol approach uses a common technology to the more familiar bioethanol in petrol and biodiesel, ie. being partially derived from a renewable source.
- The Val-U-Therm PLUS® foam contains elements from UK grown renewable crops used for industrial cooking in the UK food chain, then reformulated in the UK to be injected into panels at Scotframe.
- This is an advanced, and further developing, environmental approach – we have had our material independently tested to ASTM standards to prove its high level of bio-based content.
- The insulation has zero ozone depletion potential (ODP); has a Global Warming Potential (GWP) of less than 5 and is CFC, HFC and HCFC free.
Using the generic guidance, Val-U-Therm PLUS® achieves a Green Guide “A” or “A+” Rating depending on the cladding used.
Val-U-Therm PLUS® panels and the constituent timber & polyurethane insulation can be recycled into new products or clean incinerated for energy as a substitute fossil fuel at the end of their final service life.
Read our Frequenty Asked Questions